Thursday, October 13, 2011

I'm Moving...

Creepy couch right?
from the COUCH to a 5K! Ha, did I get ya! Anyways, tonight I completed the second run of the traditional and famous C25K program. So far, I am loving it. Never before have I followed a plan, so this in itself I am liking. Previously, I would just go out and run. I never properly trained for any race and my times show it! I think starting back at square one is a great idea for me!

The first night I followed the plan to a tee; 5 min warm up, 60 sec run, 90 sec walk, for 20 min. I only did it at a .5 incline and the fastest I went was 4.7. To most of you that probably isn't even moving, you probably stand at that speed, it was even sad to me how slow I was running. I never felt exhausted though, which maybe is a good thing, and I liked that I was able to ease back in to it. It also went by super fast because I was constantly watching the clock and switching it up. However, I knew that even if that was what the plan called for, I could more. Tonight it was supposed to be the same thing, but I did 90 then 90 at a 1 incline. Again, speed wise, I peaked at about 4.8. Still slow. Got about a mile and a half done in 25 min. Obviously I have a long ways to go. But, I am excited to see what my time will be at the end of this if I can stick with it. I am dying to break 30 min. (I know, sad) and would love to be around 25 min at some point. My pipe dream would be to get a 22-23, but that might require some kind of outside miracle or bionic legs.

My third run will be Saturday when I do the virtual race Run 3.7 for Cupcakes with, hopefully, my sister. I told her I will treat for some hot cocoa afterwards if she'll do it. I plan to do the 90/90 for the whole 3.7, is that ok? It is obviously a lot longer than 20 min but...what are ya gonna do?

Ok, so I am loving it. Start slow and build. It is totally manageable right now and I am hoping it will continue to be so. Has anyone done it? Did you like it? Any advice? Alright, time to go enjoy some Thursday night TV!

5 comments:

Kerrie T. said...

I used that when I came back from injury and LOVED it! Slow and steady wins the race!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Awesome!!! And keep it slow. After you get the distance, then work on speeding it up. One day at a time, girl. Great job.

Alma said...

Great plan, T! We'll be doing the cupcake run up here, too :)

Zaneta said...

Sounds like a GREAT plan!! Especially since you're loving it!! :)

Colleen said...

Haven't done it, but just wanted to say kudos to you! :) Start slow and you'll be stronger than ever in no time! :)